Sunday, January 15, 2012

Hot Button Topics - Stay at Home Moms vs Working Moms

Just adding this to have a cute pic... adorable, right?!

So while Joe was out with his dad last night and Delaney had fallen asleep, I decided to attempt to watch some of the shows piling up on our dvr. After scanning a few episodes of Rachael Ray I settled on watching some Anderson. (Because seriously... hes adorable!)


I was getting comfy in the La-Z-Boy with a cup of Sprite when I heard the headline "Are Stay at Home Moms Lazy?"


Ugh. This cannot end well.


I was annoyed that they cut the first 15 minutes off (We live right outside of Indianapolis and the Colts got a new GM or something I guess?) and when it came back there was a woman talking about how SAHMs (That means stay at home mom) are lazy, fat and set bad examples for their kids.


Ok... I may be slightly lazy at times, and I may be fat, but I do NOT set a bad example for my kids.


The episode goes on in a sort of Bulldog/Chihuahua type fight. The working moms basically bashing the SAHMs and the latter trying to defend their decision to stay home.




Ooooh Child. Is this bitch for real?




Now. Ive been a stay at home mom for almost 2 years. Ive had 2 short term jobs in the last few months. I would never put anyone down for the decision they choose. If you choose to be a stay at home, thats great. I see so many benefits in that and its something I feel blessed to have had the opportunity to do. If you decide to work, thats great, too! Its very rewarding to earn money and have daily interaction with adults.


Some people just arent made to stay at home. Its just not what they want to do. That doesnt mean that they love their kids any less. Some moms need to work to make ends meet. Some people choose to work from home to get the best of both worlds.


I have loved every second of staying home with my kids. Im happy. Growing up I always wanted to be the mom who stayed home and had dinner ready at the same time everyday, had a spotless home and still had time to socialize and have a part time career. The reality is- Im not that kind of mom. I get everything done that needs done. I like to have playdates and get OUT of the house. Working was hard, even tho my youngest is almost 2 and is just fine without me right by her side 24/7.


Where we are right now, I would say the perfect situation would be for my husband (who is much more comfortable working OUTside of the home) to work fulltime and for me to get a part time job when he would be home.


I think that works for US, not for everyone. For someone to go on a national television show and talk so harshly on a group of people like that... How dare they. They only made themselves look foolish.


So at the risk of having this turn ugly, I really want your opinion. I want to know what YOU think. Are you a SAHM or do you work outside the home? Are you happy? Would you change anything?

(If youre having problems commenting please check out this post.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

(c)2009 At Home With Tabitha. Based in Wordpress by wpthemesfree Created by Templates for Blogger